The upcoming European Elections are just a few weeks away. And when it comes to saving the climate this EU election is one of the more important ones. And I believe it's definitely something you must take part in if you care the slightest about the climate, your children and their future, the environment or just the well state of your country.
As you probably already know by now time is no longer on our side when it comes to fighting man-made climate change. We need radical actions now if we are to have the slightest chance to stop the worst doomsday scenarios. That is why this election is so important. Because whatever you like it or not the decisions which are being made in the European Parliament affects all member states. So this is our chance to vote for meaningful actions against climate change that will affect politics and regulations both in Europe and around the world. Don't wait until the next European Parliament elections in 2014, because then it will be too late.
How to vote?
If you live in one of the 27 member states of the European Union, and are eligible to vote, you can take part in the election and help save out climate by voting for a green political party. Yes, you read right. I am asking you to vote for a political party that might not be the right party for you personally in terms of your political views or ideology. But this is such an important, almost a once in a lifetime, election for the climate and the future of our civilization which require us to vote for political parties that actually stands for real actions against climate change.
When to vote?
The elections will take place in early June and all member states votes on different dates. For example the UK voting will be on the 4th and in Sweden the voting is not until the 7th. You can find out when the deadline for voting is in your country by using this map here.
Who should you vote for?
Because Europe has so many different political parties it's hard to tell exactly which party should get your vote. That is why I think the easiest way to decide is to choose a political party that is a member of the European Greens (They have even set up a website to promote their candidates and their new green deal for Europe which will help solve the economic crisis and save our climate).
The following parties listed below are members of the European Greens:
- Albania: Partia e Gjelber
- Austria: Die Grünen
- Belgium: Ecolo OR Groen!
- Bulgaria: Bulgarian Green Party/Bulgarian Greens
- Cyprus: Cyprus Green Party
- Czech Republic: Strana Zelenych
- Estonia: Eestimaa Rohelised
- Finland: Vihreät De Gröna
- France: Les Verts
- Germany: Bündnis90/Die Grünen
- Greece: Ecologoi-Prasinoi
- Hungary: Zöld Demokraták Szövetsége
- Ireland: Comhaontas Glas
- Italy: Federazione dei Verdi
- Latvia: Latvijas Zala Partija
- Luxembourg: déi gréng
- Malta: Alternattiva Demokratika
- Moldova: Partidul Ecologist din Moldova "Aliante Verde" (PEM AVE)
- Netherlands: De Groenen OR GroenLinks
- Poland: Zieloni 2004
- Portugal: Partido Ecologista "Os Verdes"
- Romania: The Green Party
- Slovakia: Strana Zelenych (SZ)
- Slovenia: Stranka mladih Slovenije (SMS)
- Spain: Los Verdes OR Iniciativa per Catalunya Verds (ICV)
- Sweden: Miljöpartiet de Gröna
- United Kingdom: The Green Party of England & Wales OR Scottish Green Party
Find your country's green party and vote for it in the upcoming EU election. It really isn't harder than that!
This is our chance to vote for change. Don't waste it.
This post was originally published on Green Blog.